What is Power Take-Off?
Commercial trucks have a lot of power. They come equipped with strong engines that deliver on both horsepower and torque. They can tow tens of thousands of pounds and travel many miles from Chicago or Madison. One way to make commercial trucks more efficient is with a PTO (power take off) system, sometimes called a power takeoff unit.
Understanding Power Takeoff Units
Power take-off units connect a truck’s engine to another device to help it run. Some vehicles may come equipped with a PTO unit, while others may need to have a PTO unit installed. Rotating power becomes hydraulic power with a PTO system because the gear from the power take-off unit connects to the flywheel or crankshaft in the engine. Turning the wheel or crankshaft builds up a charge in a hydraulic pump.
Power Take-Off Options
- Split Shaft: With a split shaft, the PTO is a new, additional gearbox that’s mounted to the truck. With this option, you can only use the power take-off when the vehicle is stopped. You can change between driving and the PTO with the clutch.
- Sandwich split shaft: In this configuration, the power take-off unit is mounted between the transmission and the engine. It’s directly connected to the engine and it helps create more power.
When it comes to commercial truck applications near Green Bay, PTO units are used to:
- Power a blower system that’s moving materials like cement
- Raise the bed of a dump truck
- Operate the winch on a tow truck or arm on a bucket truck
- Operate a garbage truck trash compactor
- Run a truck-mounted water-extraction machine for cleaning carpets
Want to Know More About Power Take-Off Units?
More From Badger Truck & Auto Group
If you appreciate the spirit of the original Ford Mustang, then you’re sure to love the all-new, all-electric Ford Mustang Mach-E SUV. This potent and striking vehicle is perfect for the efficiency-conscious drivers who refuse to sacrifice on style or performance. We’ll teach you everything you need to know about the 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E…
Does the new Ford midsize truck have the specs you need to complete tough jobs near Chicago? Precise 2020 Ford Ranger bed dimensions will vary depending on the cab that you select, but your friends at Badger Truck & Auto Group have broken down everything you need to know! View ford Truck Inventory Contact Us 2020 Ranger Bed Size:…
The 2020 Ford Super Duty has no trouble standing out on highways and job sites near Madison. However, if you really want a model that reflects your unique style, you’ll need to know the 2020 Ford Super Duty colors and exterior options. For this year, the new Super Duty lineup is offering even more pathways…