What is Power Take-Off?
Commercial trucks have a lot of power. They come equipped with strong engines that deliver on both horsepower and torque. They can tow tens of thousands of pounds and travel many miles from Chicago or Madison. One way to make commercial trucks more efficient is with a PTO (power take off) system, sometimes called a power takeoff unit.
Understanding Power Takeoff Units
Power take-off units connect a truck’s engine to another device to help it run. Some vehicles may come equipped with a PTO unit, while others may need to have a PTO unit installed. Rotating power becomes hydraulic power with a PTO system because the gear from the power take-off unit connects to the flywheel or crankshaft in the engine. Turning the wheel or crankshaft builds up a charge in a hydraulic pump.
Power Take-Off Options
- Split Shaft: With a split shaft, the PTO is a new, additional gearbox that’s mounted to the truck. With this option, you can only use the power take-off when the vehicle is stopped. You can change between driving and the PTO with the clutch.
- Sandwich split shaft: In this configuration, the power take-off unit is mounted between the transmission and the engine. It’s directly connected to the engine and it helps create more power.
When it comes to commercial truck applications near Green Bay, PTO units are used to:
- Power a blower system that’s moving materials like cement
- Raise the bed of a dump truck
- Operate the winch on a tow truck or arm on a bucket truck
- Operate a garbage truck trash compactor
- Run a truck-mounted water-extraction machine for cleaning carpets
Want to Know More About Power Take-Off Units?
More From Badger Truck & Auto Group
Milwaukee drivers looking for a tough pickup to tow heavy loads always look to the newest Ram models. The 2020 Ram 2500 is engineered to tow up to 19,780 pounds when equipped with a diesel engine, which is more than any other truck in its class! There are several 2020 Ram Heavy Duty towing models…
There’s nothing quite like finding a high-performance heavy-duty truck with the power to tow and haul the heaviest loads on your Chicago jobsite. Naturally, the basis of every bold and confident pickup is its engine, and the 2020 Chevy Silverado HD engines make that clearer than ever. With up to 910 lb-ft of torque on…
As the best-selling low cab forward truck since the 1980s, the Isuzu NPR has always set the standard for the modern commercial truck. Now in 2019, the new Isuzu NPR specs continue a long legacy of excellence with incredible towing chops and state-of-the-art engine power. Whether cruising through Chicago or Madison, you’ll enjoy outstanding visibility…