What is Power Take-Off?
Commercial trucks have a lot of power. They come equipped with strong engines that deliver on both horsepower and torque. They can tow tens of thousands of pounds and travel many miles from Chicago or Madison. One way to make commercial trucks more efficient is with a PTO (power take off) system, sometimes called a power takeoff unit.
Understanding Power Takeoff Units
Power take-off units connect a truck’s engine to another device to help it run. Some vehicles may come equipped with a PTO unit, while others may need to have a PTO unit installed. Rotating power becomes hydraulic power with a PTO system because the gear from the power take-off unit connects to the flywheel or crankshaft in the engine. Turning the wheel or crankshaft builds up a charge in a hydraulic pump.
Power Take-Off Options
- Split Shaft: With a split shaft, the PTO is a new, additional gearbox that’s mounted to the truck. With this option, you can only use the power take-off when the vehicle is stopped. You can change between driving and the PTO with the clutch.
- Sandwich split shaft: In this configuration, the power take-off unit is mounted between the transmission and the engine. It’s directly connected to the engine and it helps create more power.
When it comes to commercial truck applications near Green Bay, PTO units are used to:
- Power a blower system that’s moving materials like cement
- Raise the bed of a dump truck
- Operate the winch on a tow truck or arm on a bucket truck
- Operate a garbage truck trash compactor
- Run a truck-mounted water-extraction machine for cleaning carpets
Want to Know More About Power Take-Off Units?
More From Badger Truck & Auto Group
As the best-selling low cab forward truck since the 1980s, the Isuzu NPR has always set the standard for the modern commercial truck. Now in 2019, the new Isuzu NPR specs continue a long legacy of excellence with incredible towing chops and state-of-the-art engine power. Whether cruising through Chicago or Madison, you’ll enjoy outstanding visibility…
Badger Chevrolet Buick Leadership Team Accepts 2019 Business of the Year Award at Annual Dinner and Membership Meeting Lake Mills, Wisconsin — November 13, 2019 — Badger Chevrolet Buick, a division of Milwaukee-based Badger Truck & Automotive Group, Inc., has been awarded 2019 Business of the Year by the Lake Mills Chamber of Commerce. Each…
The Ford Super Duty lineup consists of powerhouse models like the F-250, F-350, and F-450. And while you can be sure that these models offer plenty of power and torque to get you through the toughest Chicago jobs, you may be wondering, “What is the 2020 Ford Super Duty towing capacity and what features will…